Friday 17 October 2014

Book Review - The House of Hades by Rick Riordan




The House of Hades
By: Rick Riordan
Series: The Heroes of Olympus #4
Publication Date: 8th October 2013
Publisher: Puffin (US)
Page Count: 584 (paperback) / 608 (hardback)
Genres: Middle Grade, Adventure, Greek Mythology
Source: Purchased

Rating: 8
The House of Hades is the fourth book in the bestselling Heroes of Olympus series, set in the action-packed world of Percy Jackson.

The stakes have never been higher. If Percy Jackson and Annabeth fail in their quest, there'll be hell on Earth. Literally.

Wandering the deadly realm of Tartarus, every step leads them further into danger. And, if by some miracle they do make it to the Doors of Death, there's a legion of bloodthirsty monsters waiting for them.

Meanwhile, Hazel and the crew of the Argo II have a choice: to stop a war or save their friends. Whichever road they take one thing is certain - in the Underworld, evil is inescapable.

Honestly time. I had not read the House of Hades before the last book came out. And now at the time that I am writing this review. I have actually just finished marathoning House of Hades and Blood of Olympus and I am NOT PREPARED TO WRITE THE TWO REVIEWS FOR THE BOOKS!

Firstly, I must emphasize that I loved the books. I've been reading them for about 6-7 years of my life and that's about half of my life. I have loved the Percy Jackson series and now I love the Heroes of Olympus series so I am absolutely heartbroken and devastated about the end of this series because no more Percy in my life makes me really upset but at the same time contented for some weird reason. Now without further ado and what a long introduction that was, my review.
 
What I am Loving:

Percy and Annabeth
For this review it seems that I'm focusing on the character perspectives more I guess. My favorite part was Percy and Annabeth's perspectives! I have loved them since the start and I love them still and will love them evermore. In this book Rick finally allowed them to be together after such a long time! With their perspectives and the whole adventure in Tartarus it was really like we were once again getting to know them more again and of course their new and developing relationship which we did not get to see much because of the whole Hera thing and the fact that they were 5 other demigods and 1 satyr there all the time.

With the whole Percy, Annabeth and Tartarus thing, we were finally able to read more about them and see them grow to be stronger and better people. We were finally also able to read about the love and care they had for each other. Most of all I really loved the way that they supported each other in the hardest times. (I mean come on they are ONLY 16 and they ended up in freaking Tartarus... I would have died like in the first hour or something) They had each other's backs til the end and even after such a hard time, they were still willing to give up their life for each other instead of giving up on the other. Just. This Love Is Perfect. Hashtag #Percabethforever.
 
Nico
Nico De Angelo. Do you understand how much I love this bae. He is so strong and so fierce and so vulnerable at the same time. I want to hug him and love him and just he is so beautiful! I never really loved him much before but after this book just my love expanded so much and I'm giving my entire heart to this beautiful boy. Psst. Wait for the next book though. He's even more lovable. I gurantee you won't be done with this series without loving Nico my bae. Also the SHIP! I'm not gonna spoil anymore because this was meant to be spoiler free - I'm just telling you my very brief feelings. The Blood of Olympus review I'm planning will be way more detailed.

The plot & adventure
For me at least, this was my favorite book of the Heroes of Olympus series so far. The plot was great. There was so much progress in terms of the adventure and characterization. The synchronization between the Argo's adventures and the Tartarus adventure was written really well. I could imagine myself with the characters and all that jazz. All the up and downs made you really understand just how miserable the life of a demigod is. My poor baes.
  
What I am Unsure Of:
Jason and Piper
I'm sorry I still can't. They never were my favorite characters and they still aren't. I tried to grow onto them. I really did. And I admit compared to the last 3 books, I liked them most in this one. However, I still felt they were like mary-sues who were too perfect and too fake for my liking. In comparison, their progress in terms of characterization and personality was too little, too unrealistic, it was like they were trying to make me like them. If that even made sense. I just couldn't like them. I was still hoping that I would grow to like them though!

Final Verdict:
I gave an 8 for this book. It was excellent and one of the greatest books I had read this year and the best Heroes of Olympus book for me at least. If you have not read this well what are you still doing! Now! Go! Buy! :

P.S. My Blood of Olympus review will be up in a few days so please do look out for that too! Thank you and happy reading! <3

*All pictures and graphics do not belong to me. I take no credit at any of it.
** All opinions are mine and are in no way influenced by anyone or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you as soon as I can! Promise:)