Friday 5 December 2014

Book Review - The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan

The Blood of Olympus
By: Rick Riordan
Series: The Heroes of Olympus #5
Publication Date: 1sh October 2014
Publisher: Puffin (US)
Page Count: 592 (hardback)
Genres: Middle Grade, Adventure, Greek Mythology
Source: Purchased

Rating: 8
Though the Greek and Roman crewmembers of the "Argo II" have made progress in their many quests, they still seem no closer to defeating the earth mother, Gaea. Her giants have risen-all of them, and they're stronger than ever. They must be stopped before the Feast of Spes, when Gaea plans to have two demigods sacrificed in Athens. She needs their blood-the blood of Olympus-in order to wake.

The demigods are having more frequent visions of a terrible battle at Camp Half-Blood. The Roman legion from Camp Jupiter, led by Octavian, is almost within striking distance. Though it is tempting to take the Athena Parthenos to Athens to use as a secret weapon, the friends know that the huge statue belongs back on Long Island, where it "might" be able to stop a war between the two camps.  

The Athena Parthenos will go west; the "Argo II" will go east. The gods, still suffering from multiple personality disorder, are useless. How can a handful of young demigods hope to persevere against Gaea's army of powerful giants? As dangerous as it is to head to Athens, they have no other option. They have sacrificed too much already. And if Gaea wakes, it is game over.

The end of the Percy Jackson era.  It's been 7 years since I started reading the PJO series and yet I have always been and still am so in love with it after such a long time. As such, knowing that there will never be another adventure again makes me really sorrowful. However, I am sort of happy because it means NO MORE CLIFFHANGERS and my baes DON'T NEED TO SUFFER anymore! But inside I'm still *cries*. Now, on to my review. There may be minor spoiler alerts.

What I am Loving:
Perspectives
Nico. My lovely beautiful Nico just brightened up the entire series. I was half squealing, half crying when I read about his pain and troubles and I love his views of the world and most of all the fantastic character building and development that Rick put into him. We learn so much more about him in this book and it just makes me want to keep him safe forever because he is such a beautiful and vulnerable boy, although he is also such a strong and wonderful man who needs to be shown to the world. As such, I just absolutely loved his perspective.

Next, Reyna. Asides from Nico, I think Reyna was another highlight to me and was a fresh and unexpected perspective that I never thought I would enjoy reading. I used to really dislike Reyna but because it was written from her perspective, like Nico, we learn so much more about her and as such I began to develop a connection towards her and her actions.

Asides from the two new perspectives, I felt that Piper's perspective was one that made me think differently at the end of the day. Her perspective make me like her slightly better after I got to understand her character. I had never really liked her because I felt that she was too needy but in this book she started kicking-ass. As such my impression of her and my respect for her increased tremendously.

Plot
I really enjoyed the plot and adventures in this book. The pace wasn't too fast or too slow. At the same time, the book had rising action, a climax, a resolution and a perfect ending so I can't complain much about the overall plot. One thing I really enjoyed was how Rick paired the groups up perfectly when he sent them on journeys such that each of them would get the chance to be exposed to characters they were no familiar with and to grow using each others strengths and witnesses and as such leading to great character development too. Thus, no complains here either.

Ships
Percabeth has always been my favorite ship and as such I was tremendously happy when they appeared like yay! Another ship I grew to love was Solangelo because Nico is such a sweetheart, but he is so innocent and quiet and oh my gosh Will fits him so well :D Opposites attract after all. Also, thank you for being so open about homosexuality in a middle-grade book Rick!

What I am Unsure Of:
As a Percabeth lover, be it of their relationship or of them as individuals; I thoroughly enjoyed reading about their perspectives, after all it was Percy's POV in the PJO series that made me fall in love with this series after all. As such, I would have really loved this book even more if Percy or/and Annabeth had appeared as often and also if BoO was written in their perspectives (at least for a couple of chapters).

Final Verdict:
I can't believe this is the end of the Percy Jackson series. These characters were my family. To see this series come to an end is just so heartbreaking and beautiful and satisfying at the same time. I love how everyone got their happy ending and just how this ended so so so beautifully. I'm happy that Percabeth are both alive and have made plans (THAT COMPLETELY MADE ME SQUEAL). I'm happy that Solangelo is going to get together and that Nico will be with someone suitable for him. I'm happy that Leo found someone who fits him ;) (SUNSHINE). I'm happy that Hazel and Frank are still together and greater than ever. I'm even happy for Piper and Jason. This was one of those endings that really gave me a bittersweet feeling and I will never forget how much joy and wonder I gained from reading the PJO and the HoO series. 

Thank you so much for the adventures Percy. I will never forget you. You will always be my blue-eyed baby.

*All pictures and graphics do not belong to me. I take no credit at any of it.
** All opinions are mine and are in no way influenced by anyone or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you as soon as I can! Promise:)